1904 FRANKLIN STREET, SUITE 211
OAKLAND, CA 94612
- To foster volunteerism in previously untargeted populations, i.e., people of color and people of diverse sexual communities.
- To generate, recruit, train, and refer, on an ongoing basis, volunteers from a targeted population to member AIDS Service Agencies.
- To bolster the volunteer programs of our targeted portion of AIDS Service Agencies in Alameda County.
AIDS VOLUNTEER CLEARINGHOUSE (AVC) CURRENT AGENCIES
The African American AIDS Support Services and Survival Institute, Inc. (AMASSI), AIDS Minority Health Initiative, AIDS Project of the East Bay, An Arc of Love, Inc., Asian Health Services, Bay Area HIV Support and Education Services (BASHES), California Prostitute Education Project (CAL-PEP), the Center for AIDS Services, Filipinos for Affirmative Action, Hale Laulima, The Institute for the Advanced Study of Black Family Life and Culture, Mission:AIDS, Project Eden, Project Open Hand, Richard Allen Institute
Advocate, case managers, drivers, childcare providers, counselors, friendly visitors, handyman, practical/emotional support persons, education, speakers bureau, office/administrators, food bank, peer educators, free clothing organizer, community health outreach worker, drama teacher, Filipino phone parent, HIV educator, special event participant/coordinator, fundraiser, workshop leaders, hotline staff, booth operators, photographers, newsletter editor, proofer, writers, sales person at Christmas tree lot, in-house client support, food server, therapeutic massager……..
- The AIDS epidemic is growing fastest among women of childbearing age, most specifically among the African and Latina populations.
- AIDS is the fifth leading cause of death of women in the United States
- Nationally AIDS is the leading cause of death for women ages 25-45
- Of all the states, California has the highest pregnancy rate
- Alameda County has the highest rate of HIV/AIDS among women of childbearing age of any county in the state of California
- The most prevalent mode of virus transmission continues to be that of intravenous drug use
- One in five persons with AIDS is in his/her 20’s
- The AIDS epidemic is rising significantly among adults and youth in all communities of color, male and female
- One in six teenagers contracts a sexually transmitted disease each year
- Half of sexually active teenagers do not use condoms
If you can find time to help out, or would like further information, please call the AIDS Volunteer Clearinghouse at (510) 419-3970.