Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley

Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley

Our Mission: To provide high quality care and rehabilitation of injured, sick, and orphaned wildlife within the Silicon Valley Community. Through educational programs, we foster a positive coexistence between the general public and wildlife, and encourage an interest in, and concern for wildlife conservation issues. Through the dedication of approximately 120 volunteers, we care for over 4,000 birds and mammals from over 150 species each year.

Who Are We?
Founded in 1993, we are a 501(c)3 non-profit licensed by the California Department of Fish and Game. We work under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to care for injured and distressed wildlife according to their guidelines.

What We Do

  • Wild Animal Care & Release: We provide high quality medical care for wild animals brought to the Center. Each is examined, treated and placed where it will get the best care with the least stress until release back into the wild. We work with local animal control departments, the CHP and others to provide training in rescue and handling techniques as well as wildlife interaction problems.
  • Public Outreach & Education: Our education program helps students in Silicon Valley schools understand wild vs. domestic animals and how to live harmoniously with them. We have an active community outreach program, speaking to local service, civic and business groups and participating in wildlife-related events. We offer informational programs to deal with common wildlife interactions, including coyotes, skunks, squirrels etc. These programs are available for presentation to community groups and through our advice hotline, newsletter and website.
  • Who We Serve: All citizens and wildlife of Santa Clara County communities from Mountain View to Morgan Hill. We treat approximately 4,000 wild birds and mammals from 100 different species each year. Animals are returned to local habitats that will support them.
  • Our Volunteers: WCSV achieves its mission through a dedicated corps of 150 volunteers supported by a paid staff of four (3 full-time, one part-time.) All volunteers complete California Department of Fish & Game approved courses in animal examination, treatment, nutrition and rehabilitation techniques. New volunteers are assigned an experienced mentor to learn high quality care. Our 150 volunteers commit over 35,000 hours each year to rehabilitate wildlife at the Center and in their homes.
  • Funding/Support: The WCSV has an annual operating budget of approximately $325,000. Approximately 40% of our funding comes from the nine cities we serve; the remaining 60% comes from grants, events, memberships, and individual donations (which average $35). Significant expenses include animal food, shelter & medicine, volunteer training and educational & outreach program delivery.

The information above can be found on the official website of Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley. For more details about the organization and to find out how you can volunteer, please visit their website: http://www.wcsv.org

This entry was posted in Animals, Environment, San Jose, Silicon Valley, South Bay. Bookmark the permalink.